Quick Cauliflower Tacos
If you know anything about me, you know I’m a super perfectionist. Maybe this just goes along with my astronomy sign or maybe I’m just a little kooky, but my Achille’s heel of life is perfectionism and a fear of failure. This means working hard and then never showing my product or not working hard at all and blaming my shortcomings on the fact that I didn’t put in any work. Essentially, it’s a huge problem, but in creating Herban Yums, I promised myself that I would resist the temptation to self-sabotage.
Part of creating this blog is showing it to people I know, something I tend to struggle with. The other day I grabbed coffee with a friend and decided to conquer my fears and share all my hard work with her. She was impressed, but then she asked a question that had never crossed my mind.
“Is this what you cook every day?”
Since the conversation with my friend, I decided to go back to my original mission statement: Creating healthy and accessible plant-based foods for people of all diets and lifestyles. While I love the challenge of making complicated and sometimes lengthy recipes, I’ve alienated people who may not have the time or interest in cooking intricate meals. Keeping this in mind, I chose to cook something that is flavorful, fun and can be prepared in thirty minutes or less.
Cauliflower tacos have long been a favorite of mine. Pretty much anything cauliflower based is amazing in my opinion. You can make cauliflower rice, asian glazed cauliflower, garlic cauliflower mashed potatoes. The list goes on! For this recipe I focused on creating a simple, baked cauliflower with a tangy, crunchy, and spicy slaw as a topping. Pair this with slices of avocado and a squeeze of lime for a quick and healthy meal.
Quick Cauliflower Tacos
(Makes 6 tacos)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 head of small purple cabbage
- 1 pack of small corn tortillas
- 1 carrot, shaved
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp of honey or agave
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp of paprika
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 tsp of cornstarch (optional but makes cauliflower extra crispy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop cauliflower florets into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tbsp of olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cornstarch and cumin.
- Put cauliflower on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Cook until crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Slice cabbage into thin pieces and chop serrano pepper into small chunks. Grate carrot on a cheese grater and toss all ingredients, including cilantro, together in a bowl.
- Stir in lime juice, honey and one tbsp of olive oil with the slaw mixture.
- Warm up tortillas in a microwave for 10-15 seconds. Top with cauliflower, slaw, avocado and a squirt of lime.